At the Cognitive Behavior Therapy Center of Sacramento in Roseville, we offer cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) for social anxiety, performance anxiety and related issues. We are a regional center of the National Social Anxiety Center | Silicon Valley/San Jose. The National Social Anxiety Center is a prestigious group of centers around the country offering evidence-based social anxiety treatment by certified cognitive therapists.
Our social anxiety therapy approach at the Cognitive Behavior Therapy Center of Sacramento Valley in Roseville is practical, goal-oriented, compassionate, and scientifically-based while focusing on your individual needs. With our convenient location in Roseville just minutes from I-80, we serve the Sacramento Valley and Sierra communities of Sacramento, Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, Lincoln, Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Loomis, Penryn, Grass Valley, Colfax, Auburn and surrounding areas.
What is Social Anxiety?
Social anxiety disorder is a strong fear of being judged or evaluated by others and worry about what others are thinking if you. Social anxiety is characterized by a fear of embarrassment, criticism or rejection that causes you to feel extremely insecure in social situations and think you are not competent or likeable or as good as other people. Most people have felt anxious or embarrassed at one time or another in a social situation. For example, meeting new people or giving a speech can make anyone nervous. If you have social anxiety disorder, your fear can be so strong that it gets in the way of going to work or school or doing other everyday things. You may worry for days or weeks before attending a social event and ruminate excessively about what you said or did afterwards, or avoid social situations completely.
Social anxiety can be very specific to a certain situation or it may occur across many types of social situations. Examples of situations where social anxiety might be present include parties and social events, talking with a group of people, speaking up at work meetings, giving a speech, raising your hand in a classroom, being called on unexpectedly to answer a question, talking to authority figures, making calls, and a variety of other social situations.
Social anxiety can manifest itself in different ways. We treat all types of social anxiety including:
- Social Anxiety Disorder, Generalized Type
- Public Speaking Anxiety
- Work-Related Social and Performance Anxiety
- Selective Mutism
- Performance Anxiety
- Dating Anxiety
- Fear of Showing Symptoms of Social Anxiety
- Fear of Eating in Public
- Fear of Writing in Public
- Shy Bladder Syndrome
- Avoidant Personality
We also work with issues related or often confused with social anxiety including:
- High Sensitivity aka the “Highly Sensitive Person”
- Social Communication Difficulties
Symptoms of Social Anxiety
- Feeling extremely self-conscious and/or embarrassed in front of other people
- Feeling very anxious about being with other people and having a hard time thinking of what to say when you are with another person or a group of people
- Being very afraid other people with judge you negatively
- Worrying for days, or even weeks, in advance of a social event
- Avoiding social situations and events due to social concerns
- Having a hard time making and/or keeping friends
- Blushing, sweating or trembling when you are around other people
- Feeling nauseous or sick to your stomach when you are with other people
- Having extreme physical reactions or other severe anxiety or panic symptoms when you are with other people or thinking about going to a social event
Cognitive Behavioral Model of Social Anxiety
In the cognitive behavioral model of social anxiety, social anxiety is maintained by the following:
- Beliefs that you are inadequate compared to other people, that you don’t have the appropriate skills and/or that other people will judge you harshly.
- A belief that the anxiety symptoms you experience in social situations are intolerable.
- Behaviors that make you feel safe in the short term but prevent you from learning. Safety behaviors can include avoidance, drinking alcohol, arriving early or leaving late, bringing a friend and many others.
Cognitive Behavior Treatment of Social Anxiety in the Roseville/Sacramento Valley region
The goal of cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) is to help you have new learning experiences to change the beliefs and behaviors that are maintaining your social anxiety. The main components of cognitive behavior therapy for social anxiety at our Roseville CBT Center are:
- Education: education about how social anxiety starts and is maintained.
- Assessment: identifying the thoughts, beliefs and behaviors that are maintaining your social anxiety today and developing a hierarchy of feared social situations.
- Skills Training: teaching you new social skills, gaining new coping skills and eliminating safety behaviors.
- Exposure: exposing yourself in a gradual manner to feared social situations so you can practice new responses.
- Cognitive Restructuring: forming new beliefs about your ability to cope with social situations.
How To Get Help for Panic Disorder in the Roseville/Sacramento Valley region
The Cognitive Behavior Therapy Center of Sacramento Valley in Roseville specializes in social anxiety therapy and counseling with adults, children and teenagers. With our convenient location in Roseville just minutes from I-80, we serve the Sacramento Valley and Sierra communities of Sacramento, Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, Lincoln, Folsom, Citrus Heights, El Dorado Hills, Loomis, Penryn, Grass Valley, Colfax, Auburn and surrounding areas. Contact us at (916) 778-0771 or email us for more information on how we can help you or your family members overcome social anxiety.
The Cognitive Behavior Therapy Center of Sacramento Valley is a division of the Cognitive Behavior Therapy Center, Adult & Child Counseling, Inc. We have a successful CBT Center in the Silicon Valley/San Jose area: Cognitive Behavior Therapy Center of Silicon Valley. The CBT Center of Sacramento Valley is our second major office.
Sacramento Valley and Sierra Communities We Serve
Sacramento Therapy Counseling • Roseville Therapy Counseling • Rocklin Therapy Counseling • Granite Bay Therapy Counseling • Lincoln Therapy Counseling • Folsom Therapy Counseling • Citrus Heights Therapy Counseling •El Dorado Hills Therapy Counseling • Loomis Therapy Counseling • Penryn Therapy Counseling • Grass Valley Therapy Counseling • Colfax Therapy Counseling • Auburn Therapy Counseling